Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Weaning

So I sat down to a bowl of soup, my baby next to me in her chair.

As I raised aspoon to my lips, I hear her 'togroz' Aha! Aha! Aha! She was saying.
I take a small plastic spoon, and offer her some. She opens her mouth wide and tastes the vegetable soup with gusto. She does the 'Aha!' sund again. And I give her more.

The following morning I phone the pediatrician.

He recommend I give her baby rice cereal for the next moth before I try to give her vegetable purees.

I'm really looking forward to making baby purees with vegetables and fruits mashed into a pulp into baby milk.
Later on will be adding fish and chicken, but that comes much later.

Right now I'm concentrating on a few spoonfuls of baby rice every morning. She relishes her breakfast - and hey! it smells nice enough to tempt even me!

4 Comments:

Blogger dania2004 said...

i always liked baby`s cereals and mashed fruits cans or as i like to name them CERELAK AND HIENZ..
dania didn`t like them and was for my disappointment more likely to eat natural stuff..which mum is good at.. but i didn`t stop buying them convincing myself that dania is gonna eat them ,,

Um Dania

6:32 AM  
Blogger Nuri said...

How old is your baby? In Spain, babies start with fruit at 5 months or later, and vegetables at 6 months, when they're breastfed.
Babycereal is good! Sometimes I even have some!

9:09 AM  
Blogger UmmAminah said...

She's 4 months.
I didn't want to start her on solids as all the books say wait until 6 months, but, hey, Mediterranean babies start working an apetite early,, to be able to enjoy the gastronomic feast that is the Mediterranean when they grow up. Show me ONE Mediterranean country which diesn't provide for great food!!!

12:17 AM  
Blogger Maya M said...

Across countries, doctors seem to give absolutely different advice about introducing foods to babies - but always with such confidence :). And all of the babies grow up.
We start giving home-made apple puree to babies as young as 3 months, and sometimes even to 2-months-olds, if they have heavy constipation.
If the baby has the opposite problem, we use home-made carrot puree. An apple-carrot mix is also good.
You need just to boil the apple or carrot and mince them. At least you know what is inside, which isn't the case with commercial purees.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home